a country boy can survive matt hughes a country boy can survive matt hughes

[114] In the final round Hughes connected with a right hook to Gracie's chin, then connected with a leg kick and another punch. In 2005, Hughes participated as a coach opposite Rich Franklin in the second season of the Spike TV reality television series, The Ultimate Fighter. Sign up for the MMA Junkie newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning. [71] Before the stoppage, Gracie was caught in an armlock from the side mount position;[71] although Hughes appeared to have the submission in place, Gracie would not tap out. [29] At this point in their careers, Hallman was the only man to have defeated Hughes in MMA competition. Penn Claims Rib Injury Influenced Loss To Matt Hughes", "UFC 63: Matt Hughes Gets Revenge On B.J. A loss won't really hurt Hughes's legacyat this point, and a win could actually vault him back into title contention. You're my idol -- Matt Hughes, you're my idol, you will always be my idol, thank you. When it appeared that the fight would be stopped, the bell rang signaling the end of the first round. I had a lot on the line. Hughes opened the second round with a quick takedown, moving up to side-control and then landed an elbow that cut Lytle. He still struggles to move and talk as he did prior to the accident, but it has still been a miraculous comeback from the brink of death, merely to survive. Be the first one to comment on this story. Feel free to Sign Up today. [53], Hughes faced Penn's training partner Renato Verissimo at UFC 48: Payback, winning via unanimous decision (30-27; 3027; 29-28). UFC (Promotion) Stingray Karaoke Country, 80'S & 90'S, 1982, English, Key D. Directors---Starring Hank Williams, Jr. Instead, Hughes completely blew Almeida out of the water, choking the 2nd degree BJJ blackbelt out in a little over three minutes time.With that fight, Hughes makes it three victories in a row, and sends a statement to the rest of the division that the old horse isin't about to be dragged out behind the barn just yet.Hughes has said thathe plans to take the remainder of 2010 off, and return to finish the remainder of his contract next year. [114] Both of them seemed very comfortable fighting on their feet in the early going, with Gracie landing the cleaner and more effective punches and also landing a couple of kicks. I think it's great news for me. Hughes weathered an early outburst by B.J. [112] After the fight Hughes said, "I think I have a few more fights left in me. Instead, it was his" ring age" that seemed to finally have caught up to the former champion. [110] The back and forth action rewarded both competitors with Fight of the Night honors. If you come complaining to us that something you read here is not hard-hitting news, expect to have the previous sentence repeated in ALL CAPS. [110] In the second round, Hughes controlled his opponent on the ground with his wrestling skills. [73], It just seemed like I was a step ahead of him. Guess that Hank Williams Jr. was onto something, after all.For a fighter supposedly facing the tail end of his career, UFC hall of famer and multiple time welterweight champion, Matt Hughes, has been opening a lot of eyes lately.Or reopening, as the case seems to be.Only a short while ago, the Illinois native was all but written off in the division he single-handedly put on the map. Penn", "Matt Hughes vs. Diego Sanchez expected for UFC 135 in Denver", "Matt Hughes vs. Josh Koscheck official for UFC 135 in Denver", "Koscheck KOs Hughes in First, Hughes Not Retiring", "UFC 135 main-card results: Jones chokes out 'Rampage,' Koscheck KOs Hughes", "Matt Hughes Retires, Promoted to UFC Vice President", "Matt Hughes new book 'Made in America: The Most Dominant Champion in UFC History' set for 2008 release", "Hardcover Nonfiction New York Times bestseller list", "Matt Hughes gets TV mini series "Uncaged" for African hunting safari", "Dan Hardy talks retirement, says Matt Hughes is 'bad for the sport', "Matt Hughes in bitter twitter quarrel with 'PETA idiots', "UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes seriously injured in truck vs. train accident", "From scary accident to coma to rolling, UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes is back on the mat", "Matt Hughes' Family Working with Brain and Spinal Injury Non-Profit Organization", "VIDEO: UFC legend Matt Hughes returns to hospital to honor nurses who treated him after crash", "Matt Hughes suing train operator at center of near-fatal accident", "UFC'S MATT HUGHES HIT WITH RESTRAINING ORDER WIFE CLAIMS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE", "Wife of UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes granted order of protection against her husband", "UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes settles tractor dispute with twin brother Mark", "Matt Hughes inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame", "Fight Matrix - UFC Records & Most Wins", "Matt Hughes: 2006 NHB Fighter of the Year", "Imagining an MMA Hall of Fame: The Shoo-Ins", "Fedor Emelianenko, Anderson Silva among MMA's best of decade", "The best of the decade: 10 best MMA fights", Matt Hughes profile at the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Matt_Hughes_(fighter)&oldid=1133953955, Five successful title defenses (first reign), Two successful title defenses (second reign), Seven successful title defenses (overall), Second most title defenses in the UFC welterweight division (Seven), Second most title fights in the UFC welterweight division (Twelve), Second most finishes in UFC title fights (Eight), Second most fights in UFC history (Twenty-five), Extreme Challenge 21 Tournament Runner-up. Going into UFC 135, Matt Hughes had a lot of questions to answer about his future in MMA. Really, really badly. ). [141][142] On June 18, Hughes's family released a statement that he had no broken bones or internal injuries but was unconscious and unresponsive. He had regarded Hughes as his idol, not as someone he could beat. Instead, Hughes completely. [89] Hughes secured an armbar at the end of round one, but Lytle was saved by the bell. That was all. Hughes also did nearly everything a top UFC fighter couldve. Wherever I wanted his hand, I put it there. Donec gravida mi a condimentum rutrum. Following a championship win by Matt Serra over Georges St-Pierre at UFC 69,[96] UFC President Dana White announced that Hughes would fight for the World Welterweight title in November 2007 against Serra. [102] In the post-fight interview, Hughes praised St-Pierre as the better fighter: No excuses here. Matt Hughes - Entrance & Introduction - UFC 60 - A Country Boy Can Survive - Hank Williams Matt Hughes: UFC Legend Talks about life after his accident. COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE: The Story of Matt Hughes' Fight for Survival. Perhaps none of the movies were more cutting and moving than the story of UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes and his struggle to survive a horrific accident. Everything Else (The Really Unlikely Ones)Fourth Fight with GSP: Hughes actually holds a victory over GSP, giving him a shred of a reason to ask for this fight. [19], Hughes competed in the prestigious ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship, in which he held a record of 22, beating Ricardo Almeida[20] and Jeremy Horn,[21] and losing to Jeff Monson[22] and Tito Ortiz.[23]. I'm happy to beat a good Brazilian with a wrestling move.[116]. If we fight again, I don't think he's going to beat me, but he will probably come closer. Dennis who?If that was your reaction upon reading this, I don't blame you. Learn more about troubleshooting WordPress. [33] This was confirmed by Hughes himself upon reviewing the tape of the match Hughes can be heard telling his corner after the fight "I was out". Win Tickets To The Red Hot Chili Peppers at San Diego's Snapdragon Stadium! [99] Despite his best efforts, Hughes was unable to mount a serious offense on St-Pierre, who easily avoided Hughes's takedown attempts, while taking Hughes down at will and using Hughes's own ground-and-pound style against him. Hughes finished his career with an overall MMA record of 45-9 and still has many UFC records to his credit. [123] However, Sanchez missed the bout with an injury and was replaced by Josh Koscheck. Anderson Silvas son Gabriel Silva gets knocked out in 1st round Fedor Emelianenko on Ring Girls: Dress them more decent. TRENDING > Watch Matt Hughes land the ultimate slam on Carlos Newton at UFC 34 (full fight video). [108] On January 9, 2009, Hughes confirmed on his blog that UFC 98 would likely be the day he and Serra met in the Octagon. This video makes me sad but inspires me with his tenacity and the love of his wife and kids. [125], I'm not retiring. [41], At UFC 42: Sudden Impact, Hughes faced future UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk, winning via unanimous decision. 96ci to 103ci. Hes been in, or close to, the main event of nearly every card hes been on. [44][45], Hughes faced former WFA Welterweight Champion Frank Trigg at the main event of UFC 45: Revolution. Fan's Take", "UFC History: 20 Best UFC Fighters Of All-Time", "Ranking Chuck Liddell and the UFC Hall of Fame inductees", Fight Night Goiania Free Fight: Thiago Alves vs. Matt Hughes, "Former Lincoln College Wrestler Matt Hughes to Be Inducted in the NJCAA Wrestling Hall of Fame", "Matt Hughes vs Ricardo Almeida-ADCC 2000", "History of the UFC 12.10.07: UFC XXVI Ultimate Field of Dreams", "History of the UFC 01.07.07: UFC XXIX Defense of the Belts", "History of the UFC 03.03.08: UFC XXXIV High Votlage", "Rampage Jackson and the 6 Most Devastating Slams in MMA History", "The Seven Most Brutal KO Slams in MMA History", "25 Best Championship Fights in UFC History", "History of the UFC 03.24.08: UFC XXXVI Worlds Collide", "Matt Hughes vs. Carlos Newton II, UFC 38", "History of the UFC 05.12.08: UFC XL Vendetta", "History of the UFC 06.09.08: UFC XLII: Sudden Impact", "Sean "The Muscle Shark Sherk MMA Stats, Pictures, New, Videos, Biography", "History of the UFC 07.14.08: UFC XLVI Supernatural", "BJ Penn sues Zuffa over Stripping of Welterweight title", "History of the UFC 08.18.08: UFC XLVI Supernatural", "Top 5 UFC fights in the promotion's modern history", "Top 10 Best MMA Comeback wins of All-Time", "UFC 52: Matt Hughes Survives To Defeat Arch Nemesis Frank Trigg", "Riggs's Failed Weigh-In Makes UFC History", "UFC 56: Hughes vs. Riggs, Franklin vs. [137] In response to outrage over trophy hunting pictures posted on his Twitter account in 2012, Hughes called some of the commenters "PETA idiots" and told them to stop following his page. Hughes stated that he felt his arm pop and realized he would never tap, so instead of breaking his arm, opted to seek a different position . Here are the most interesting and attractive options for the farmboy for his "Farewell Tour 2011". He did exactly what we expected. All rights reserved. Matt Hughes was a dominant UFC champion, but after his hall of fame career came to a close, he faced his toughest fight ever, this time, for his very survival. AJ McKee Would Love To Fight Floyd Mayweather, Talks Patricio Pitbull, More, Rob Font vs. Cody Garbrandt: MMA Media Picks | UFC Vegas 27, Charles Oliveira vs Michael Chandler: MMA Media Picks | UFC 262, Video: Ranking T.J. Dillashaw's UFC Opponents With Jimmie Rivera, Cat Zingano Says Toe Kick To Eye "Still Grosses Me Out", GoFundMe Created For Larry D After He And His Family Lose Home In A House Fire, WWE Live Event From Syracuse, NY (3/4) Results: Cody Rhodes, Seth Rollins, Judgment Day, And More, WWE Live Event Results From Toronto, Ontario, Canada (3/4): Roman Reigns Faces Sami Zayn, John Cena To Voice Rocksteady In 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem', AEW Dark Stream And Results (3/4): HOOK, The Acclaimed, The Lucha Bros, Matt Hardy, More In Action, Mandy Leon Set For MLW Debut, Jeff Jarrett Reflects On His Father's Legacy, More | Fight Size, UFC 285 Results, Live Coverage, and Discussion: Jones vs. Gane. [43] In round two, they started to trade punches, but eventually Hughes took Sherk down. On October 7, 2014, Hughes parented with Producer Joe David Garza and became the host of a new series entitled The Takedown with Matt Hughes, which aired on Sundays on the Sportsman Channel. Hughes started the match with a big slam and then began to attack from Castillo's guard with elbows and punches. [55], Hughes regained the vacant welterweight title by submitting Canadian contender Georges St-Pierre via armbar in the final second of the first round at UFC 50: The War of '04. 'A Country Boy Can Survive' documented his comeback and those who were involved along the way. Unfortunately for Hughes, it was back when no one was watching. Serra did not like the way Hughes criticized other contestants on the show and was disgusted when Hughes constantly picked on Georges St-Pierre during a lunch break and bragged about his submission victory. It makes me a lot more relaxed to go in there. [75] In the bout, Penn controlled the first two rounds,[77][78] but sustained a rib injury during the scramble to take Hughes's back in round two. [114], On May 28, 2010, Hughes was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame. The horrific incident took place on the Beelers Trail, Zanesville. [30], Hughes won his first UFC World Welterweight title at UFC 34: High Voltage[31] on November 2, 2001. UFC confirmed the fight. Penn (Pictures) in rounds one and two to avenge his 2004 loss to the Hawaiian with a come-from-behind TKO win at 3:53 of the third. COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE: Matt Hughes' Fight for Survival. [41] Between rounds doctors ruled that the resulting cut was too severe to continue, and Hughes was declared the winner due to stoppage. Matt Hughes. [26] In the process, Hallman handed Hughes his first professional defeat. Penn", "Georges St-Pierre "I'm not impressed by your performance" video", "TUF 6: Matt Serra and Matt Hughes named as coaches", "Brock Lesnar's Team Trains With Matt Hughes for the Ultimate Fighter 13", "Report: Serra vs. Hughes to Headline November Event in New Jersey", "UFC Headed to Las Vegas Twice in December", "Injury Forces Matt Serra off UFC 79 Fight Card", "UFC 79 Round-by-round Updates and live results", "GSP dominates Hughes, Liddell outlasts Silva", "UFC 85 recap: Alves rocks Hughes, Bisping cruises TKO victory", "Matt Hughes and Matt Serra back off retirement talk", "Machida KOs Evans; Hughes Outpoints Serra", "UFC 98 bonuses: Hughes, Serra, Machida and Larson each earn $60K", "Matt Hughes signs Multi-fight contract with UFC", "Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Matt Hughes Unleashes the "Dave Schultz Front Headlock" on Ricardo Almeida at UFC 117", "Matt Hughes chokes Ricardo Almeida unconscious", "UFC 117 bonuses: Struve, Silva, Sonnen and Hughes earn $60,000 fighter awards", "UFC 117 Bonuses: Silva, Sonnen, Hughes, Struve Rewarded", "Matt Hughes, BJ Penn to Complete Trilogy at UFC 123 in Michigan", "Matt Hughes looks to regroup after knockout loss to B.J. After the match Newton stated that he felt the reason Hughes fell to the mat was because he was rendered unconscious from the triangle choke. Maybe he had a bad day -- it's a matter of circumstances as well. He finished with an 8015 record for Eastern Illinois. Lost Golden Age Heroes & Sidekicks Exposed Whos Who Style! I was really surprised. [6][7][8], During his reign, Hughes was considered the #1 pound-for-pound mixed martial artist in the world. Released in 1982, "A Country Boy Can Survive" became a signature song for Hank Williams Jr., one of the most prolific artists in country music. -B.J. ", "UFC 135 Results: Ranking Hugues' Greatest Career moments", "Hughes or GSP: Who is Greatest UFC Welterweight of All Time? Hughes lost to Alves by TKO at 1:02 of the second round. This fight would probably come off as a "stepping stone" fight for Swick. A Country Boy Can Survive. Check out this short UFC documentary produced by the UFC. Hughes never liked the idea, however, and considers himself primarily an amateur and submission wrestler.[15]. and aliens Oct 25, 2015 35,092 89,423 May 28, 2019 #1 View: Https://youtu.be/4EoHhVWjOoA 5 jimmy boogaloo Hes accomplished everything a fighter could want to. [130] The book debuted at No. [109], Hughes won the grudge match against Serra at UFC 98 via unanimous decision. Dont think we can blame him for his behavior. Hughes started the second round with powerful leg kicks, but after that Gracie returned to his in-and-out punching style. [84], On November 18, 2006, at UFC 65: Bad Intentions, Georges St-Pierre defeated Hughes by TKO via strikes at 1:25 of round two, ending Hughes's title reign. UFC 285 Jones vs. Gane Play-by-Play, Results & Round Scoring, UFC 285 Prelims: Cody Garbrandt Upends Trevin Jones, Halts Two-Fight Skid, Resurgent Wilson Reis Chokes Johnny Campbell in Cage Warriors 149 Headliner, UFC 285 Weigh-in Results: Jones Outweighs Gane; 2 Fighters Heavy, Featherweight Brahyan Zurcher Secures Contract on PFL Challenger Series 6, PFL Challenger Series 6 Play-by-Play, Results & Round Scoring, Coach Eric Albarracin Expects Patricio Freire to Earn Title in Third Division, Thiago Santos Believes Jon Jones Will Prevail at UFC 285, Jessica Andrade Drops Back to 115 Pounds to Face Xiaonan Yan at UFC 288, Bellator MMA Signs Two-Time NCAA Wrestling Champ Jordan Oliver, Yaroslav Amosov Says Hes Best Welterweight in World After Bellator 291 Win, Yarsolav Amosov Dominates Logan Storley, Unifies Welterweight Title at Bellator 291, Bellator 291 Amosov vs. Storley 2 Play-by-Play, Results & Round Scoring, Bellator 291 Weigh-in Results: Title Unification Set; 1 Fighter Heavy, PFL Challenger Series 2023 Week 6 Weigh-in Results: Featherweights Make Weight, Ante Delija vs. Yorgan De Castro Headlines PFL 2 on April 7, Desiree Yanez Wins Contract at PFL Challenger Series 5, Alex Davis Defends Decision to Halt Andrade-Lineker Bout, Expects Eventual Trilogy, Roberto Soldic, Zebaztian Kadestam to Clash at One on Prime Video 10 on May 5, Fabricio Andrade Breaks John Lineker, Seizes One Championship Bantamweight Title, Sage Northcutt Returns from 4-Year Layoff at One on Prime Video 10, Chingiz Allazov Claims Kickboxing Gold at One on Prime Video 6 With Nasty KO, Arjan Bhullar-Anatoliy Malykhin Title Unification Bout Set for One on Prime Video 8. Top 25 Post Fight Interviews: #20-#16 09:59. This means everything to me. And formonths, Hughes has pretty much ignored those call outs.If Matt really wants to make a title run in the last act of his career, he's going toneed to answer the ringing phone this time when Bob Cook comes calling. [58], Hughes successfully retained his title against Trigg in their historic rematch at UFC 52: Couture vs. Liddell 2. 1999: Country Boy Can Survive Episode aired Oct 1, 2018 IMDb RATING 9.0 /10 6 YOUR RATING Rate Sport In 1999, Matt Hughes launched a legendary career, but it was after hanging up his gloves, that he faced the toughest fight of his life. That doesn't give one a whole lot of hope that he'll have anything for Georges the fourth go-round.Rubber Match with BJ Penn: Man, I would love to see this fight. Former two-time UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes suffered a traumatic brain injury in 2017 after the truck he was travelling in was hit by a train. I just had a good night that night, and he had a bad night. There's nothing more I can say about it.[103]. [4], On June 16, 2017, Hughes was hospitalized with a serious head injury after a train struck the passenger side of his truck at a rail crossing near his home in Montgomery County, Illinois. [83] According to both commentator Joe Rogan and Hughes's own autobiography, Hughes was unhappy with St-Pierre's statement.

22nd Virginia Infantry, Just A Little Diner Menu Camdenton, Mo, Nick Briz Eastern Florida State College, Articles A

No Comments

a country boy can survive matt hughes

Post A Comment
kanye west voice generator ×